Acceptance

When I first moved to Arizona from Northern California, the only topic I could ever discuss was the weather. Everyday contained a constant flow of, "Is it possible to be this hot??" or "I don't understand why anyone would want to live here- the weather alone!"

Honestly, I annoyed myself with this constant dialog about weather. What was this accomplishing?

This semester, even this entire year, I've held a different regard for the weather (even with it still being in the 100's when it's October-I forgive you Arizona) and it's one of acceptance. Telling myself, I now live in Arizona, it is going to be hot. Period. Drop the conversation and move on.

This whole concept of acceptance has helped me tremendously not only with the weather in Arizona, but will all aspects of my growing life. I've learned that the more we learn to accept something whether it be the weather, a failed relationship, a loss etc...; the important part is acknowledging the pain or the frustration and letting go.

Once the initial letting go has occurred, the best part can follow. Happiness tends to set in and instead of dwelling on what we can't control, the trials all become simple facts.

I now lean towards believing happiness stems from a general acceptance of all the trials and tribulations that are thrown at us in our day-to-day lives. And you know what? I no longer complain endlessly about the weather. In fact, it's not too bad.

Photo taken by me near my house in California

1 comment:

Tiffany Kadani said...

You speak the truth! There are some things you oan't change, so what's the point in complaining about it? This post is a great reminder as it is still basically summer here in Northern California. (Sacramento!)