What I Learned During My Undergrad

So at this point, I've taken my last finals and it is my official last day as an undergrad. I'll hopefully get into some graduate program, but there are no guarantees. There are no guarantees for much in life! Yet we keep on kickin' anyways. I thought I would share some of what I learned through my 3.5 years.

1. Open up. Let people in and see who you really are and don't hide behind false pretenses. There's no point and you won't develop strong relationships that way.

2. Get involved. I found a service fraternity and a church that I love. It took me 2 years and a trip abroad to really understand where I wanted to get involved but it was worth it in the end.

3. STUDY ABROAD! If I could impart any wisdom on anyone, ever, it would be to study abroad. Even if it's for a summer! Do it! You will never regret the fear of being uncomfortable in a new environment and allowing new traditions and ways of life into your mind. You will live like never before.

4. Explore. Just in general, go on walks to new places and if no one will go with you, don't be afraid to go at it alone. Explore that feeling called being alone and having it not scare you. 

5. Make sure you are studying what makes you passionate and not what your parents or anyone else around you says you should study. There's absolute no point in studying something that keeps you lukewarm. 

6. Don't cheat. Just don't. 

7. Get to know the town you're living in. I fully believe the reason I grew to love Tucson was because I allowed myself to explore this strange new city and get to know all its quirks and loveable qualities. I also volunteered a lot and I found that to be the best way to get to know the people in the community and find what makes the city tick.

8. Invest in people and let them know you appreciate them. Everyone can use some affirmation every once in a while.

9. Study. Take time to study and work hard while also having fun. It sounds silly but I know people that really don't study and then get frustrated when they don't receive the results they wanted. If you want to reap the rewards, you better study.

10. Take photos, keep a journal and document every. little. thing. There will only be one time in your life for your undergrad life. These years go by FAST (yes, I know everyone says that but truthfully, they do) and if you don't stop and look around every once in a while, you may miss it all. (Thanks Ferris!) You won't regret keeping a journal and I'm sure there will be some day down the road that you may want to look back and see who you were between the ages of 18-22.

:) 

No comments: