Living a Rooted Life


On Sunday, the church I go to, Bridgetown, started a new series for the fall and introduced the series for 2016 as well. In his speech, he mentioned how the church will be seeking out a greater sense of creating roots and planting itself within the city of Portland. He went on to explain how this idea of "rootlessness" and lack of commitment to where we are currently placed has run rampant across the Western culture's mindset. Prior to cars or the internet, people stayed where they were and created community with what was around them. 

While I am all for traveling, moving to new places, meeting new people etc. etc., there is something to be said for staying in one place for a while and really placing roots. It goes back to my whole struggle for a "home", which I've talked about quite a bit on here. We were made to create community with one another and the easiest way to do that, is by being around those closest to you. 

As someone who left home in California at the age of 18 to move to Arizona and is now currently living in Oregon, I know a little bit about moving around. Some would say I'm pretty good at it by now. When you're young, you have the community that your parents introduce you to and through the high school you attend. But once you leave that bubble, you are thrust into unknown territory and the only way to make it, in my humble opinion, is to reach out and form your own community. 

It wasn't until I implemented the community aspect into my life in Tucson that I really began to love it there. Once I volunteered within the city, pushed myself outside my limits, found a church I really loved, I was able to feel at peace. But then I moved again. And this time, it was back to my original home that no longer held the same level of community I was used to.  

By the time I moved to Oregon (going on a little over a month now!! Woo!) I knew the first thing I needed to do was to create community. I started going to Bridgetown the first weekend I moved in (luckily my roommate had already checked it out and given it a firm two thumbs up) and instantly pushed my way into a small group. Once school started I began forming community with my cohort and now, a month in, I fully feel like Portland is my home. 

In my book, community is the key to being content. And finding a community that is walking distance or a short drive away is also key. These are the people we will be doing life with! They need to be the ones that see us at our best and worst and in the mundane day-to-day! It's really hard to do that from afar. It can still happen! But it's harder. 

All of this to say, I am a huge fan of creating roots wherever you are. I may only be in Oregon for two years of maybe ten but heck, I'm going to make these years the best ones I can and get to KNOW this city I call home. Once you take that step, the whole world opens up and happiness follows. 

So go put down those roots!!!  

No comments: