Nesting


When you're in your 20's, it seems like you are never in one place for too long. Everyone I went to college with has plans of moving either for grad school or they are moving back home. I already made that jump since I graduated in December and still I felt unsettled. I let my pictures remain pushed up against the wall instead of hung, I didn't buy actual bedding for my bed which consisted of a duvet and no cover, and I was content letting everything sit just as it was when no one was living in this room. 

But for me, and maybe you're like this too, nesting and making a place unique and fit for you, is an important step in accepting where you currently are. I wasn't rushed to fix my room up to how I wanted it because I felt like I was going to be leaving soon, so why even bother? But therein lies the problem. Nesting forces us to move in our belongings and make space. It requires that we open up our mind to the idea that we never know how long a stage will last so we might as well get comfortable.  

I recently hung up my pictures, rearranged by bookshelves and bought the duvet cover because gosh darnit, I'm here now and I'm going to make the best of it. There's no reason my room has to look like a shell of a place while I'm living in it!

And maybe it's April and maybe I'm a sucker for new beginnings and fresh starts but every month I feel my heart get a little lighter at the thought that we have a new month ahead of us with unknown adventures, people, and hopefully some new plans.

Have a happy Easter! This Easter I am thanking the Lord for His grace because lately he has been extending quite a bit to me even when I don't deserve it.

1 comment:

Allie said...

I always make a place feel like home, even if I only plan to be there a short time... I remember in college, decorating my dorm was always first priority. And even now, whenever I need a little boost, my first go-to is always a nesting instinct, and I fluff my apartment somehow. It's so important to have a cozy home!